Business and SBIR Grant Consultant and Patent Writer Dr. Steve
SBIR Grant Consultant Dr. Steve O. is a life science professional with expertise in intellectual property, commercialization strategy, and SBIR/STTR grant preparation and management. Steve has helped dozens of companies develop IP portfolios, business strategies, and SBIR grant applications in diverse markets, including therapeutics, diagnostics, medical devices, and research tools. He can help with many aspects of developing a successful life science venture:
Intellectual Property Consultant
* Patent searching: IP landscapes, patentability, and freedom-to-operate analysis
* Patent drafting, filing, and prosecution
* Strategies for protecting core technologies and target products/services
* Technology discovery and licensing
* Registered patent agent (USPTO Reg. No. 79,564)
* Business model discovery, development, and validation
* Primary market research and go-to-market strategy
* Competitive intelligence: product landscapes, clinical landscapes, and company profiles
SBIR Grant Consultant
* Identifying funding opportunities
* Company registrations (Dun & Bradstreet, sam.gov, grants.gov, etc)
* Engaging Program Directors/Officers for early feedback
* Application preparation and submission
* Strategy for letters of support
* Understanding SBIR budgets and accounting
In addition to being an active ScienceDocs business and SBIR grant consultant, Steve has been the co-founder and CTO of a startup company developing drug discovery research tools and companion diagnostics for oncology. He authored and served as Principal Investigator on multiple SBIR proposals awarded by the NCI – National Cancer Institute. As an SBIR-awardee himself, he successfully applied to the Innovation Corps (I-Corps) program at NIH and led a three-person team to perform over 100 informational interviews with expert stakeholders in the drug discovery and diagnostics markets. His team’s efforts led to high praise from the NIH and expert teaching team, and he has been a panelist on NIH-hosted webinar events for SBIR awardees interested in applying to the I-Corps program. Steve has also served as a reviewer for SBIR grants and contracts for the NIH and NSF, which lends him incredible insight to support our clients as a SBIR grant consultant and writer.
Steve has experience at the highest levels of intellectual property consulting, having served at a prestigious firm as a patent agent and Head of Intellectual Property at a Series A biotechnology company. He has consulted with companies ranging from founders in stealth mode to publicly traded corporations. He has extensive experience developing high level strategy for protecting target products/services, patent drafting and prosecution, technology discovery and licensing, as well as patentability, freedom-to-operate, and landscape analysis.
Steve holds a PhD in Molecular Pharmacology and Cancer Biology from Purdue University and a BS in Biochemistry from Western Michigan University. His dissertation focused on developing novel cellular kinase activity assays and using them to characterize drug resistance in chronic myeloid leukemia. He has published his work in peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal of the American Chemical Society, PLOS One, The Journal of Proteome Research, and Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents.
To work with SBIR grant consultant Dr. Steve, please visit our quote page and request him in the description area.